Ads txt issues sometimes can be annoying, especially if you are new to the website business. Some ad networks like Adsense, Hooligan ads, Galaksion ads, and some other ads company will ask you to input the ads txt file into your website root area to continue the registration process.
The truth is that if you are new to blogging or new to owning a website, it may seem like a pain in the butt. But in this article, we will show you an easy way how to fix ads txt issues yourself even when you are still a novice in the blogging business.
But first, we ought to know what these ads txt is. If you see blogging or your website as a full-time business you should be mindful of what you upload to your website because uploading malicious files to your website root without confirming the source of it. It could lead to the downfall of your website.
Although Ads txt could be harmless, you need to know what it is.
Table of Contents
What is ads Txt?
Ads.txt is an acronym for (Authorized Digital Sellers). The ads txt comprises Authorized Digital Sellers. Ads.txt file gives you more edge over who is to be allowed to sell ads on your website. The ads.txt file can also be used to verify website ownership.
This is because it is being uploaded to the root of the website, and only the owner or the owner of the website can give the authorization to alter his/her website can upload the file. Different Ads network have their different ads.txt files, but you don’t necessarily need to upload different ads.txt files to your website root as they can all be merged into the same Ads txt file.
How to check if ads txt file is available on your website
There are different methods of checking if the ads txt file is available on your website, one of the sure ways of doing that is by adding “/ads.txt” at the end of your domain name. for example, www.9jatide.com/ads.txt.
Please note: if you get a message “page not found” like the one I have below, it means you don’t have any Ads txt file on the root of your website. But if you see a series of text displays, that means you have an ads txt file on the root of your website.
Where to locate ads txt file on your website
Ads txt file is not a large file it is usually in bytes or kilobytes it is usually found in the root (Public) area of your website. Here is a procedure on how to locate the ads.txt file on your website.
1. Log in to your dashboard through your hosting provider’s website.
2. Look for “file manager”, preferably C panel file manager. Why I said so, is because some file managers that come with hosting plans are limited.
3. Open the file manager through the C panel, scroll down and look for “Public_html”. The Public_html is an area that can be accessed by website visitors. Scroll down you should be able to see the Ads.txt file.
As I said earlier Ads txt file is not large. It is just a single file with some text inside of it.
How to add ads txt file to your website
Adding ads txt files to your website is straightforward. To add an ads txt file to your website, follow the procedure below.
1. Download the Ads txt file from the ads network website. If you are using Adsense, Hooligan ads, or other advertisement platforms you should be able to see a place to download the ads.txt file.
2. Log in to your dashboard through your hosting provider area
3. Look for a file manager, preferably the C panel file manager.
4. Open the file manager through the c panel, scroll down and look for “Public_html”, and click on Public_html.
5. Look for the upload button, if you gained access to the Public_html area using the C panel file manager, the upload button should be at the top menu after the C panel logo. Click on the upload button.
6. A new window will pop up asking you to select the file to upload. You can either use the drag-and-drop feature or click on the “select file” button and locate the file you downloaded.
7. Look for the file you are about to upload and double-click on the file. If you are using windows OS the file to upload should be inside the download folder.
8. Wait for the upload bar to complete loading, then refresh the page.
9. In other to make sure everything goes fine, you may need to clear browser and website caches.
10. Check if the Ads.txt file is now live and running by adding “/ads.txt” at the end of your domain name. For example, www.9jatide.com/ads.txt.
How to add multiple texts to your ads txt file
For you to be able to add more texts to the ads.txt file, you must have the ads.txt file running and accessible through your Yourwebsite/ads.txt. Follow the procedure below to add more texts to your ads.txt file:
1. Download the ads.txt file from the ads network website if you want to add their text.
2. Locate the ads.txt file you downloaded on your computer. It should be in the download folder.
3. Double-click on the ads.txt file in other to gain access to the texts inside of it. After that, copy the text you found in it.
4. Now login to your dashboard through your hosting provider area
5. Look for a file manager, preferably the C panel file manager.
6. Open the file manager through the C panel, scroll down and look for “Public_html”, and click on Public_html. Then look for the ads.txt file.
7. After locating the ads.txt file, click on the ads.txt file and click on the edit button. The edit button is located using the mouse right-click button or at the top menu of the file manager after the C panel file manager logo.
8. Click on the accept button in other to make edits. By now you should be inside the ads.txt file.
9. Remember the text we copied inside the ads.txt file in step 3? We will need to paste it inside the ads.txt file on your website. Paste the text then click on the save button
10. After saving you can wipe the website and browsers cache after that try accessing the “Yourwebsite/ads.txt” to confirm if the text you pasted is displaying
Note: for those using Galaksion ads, using this manual edit method will not work, you will need to download and paste the txt file in the “Public_html” folder even if you have the ads.txt file inside the Public_html folder.
How to validate ads txt file
There are different platforms used in validating ads txt files, one of the best ways I used in analyzing and validating my ads.txt file is using Adstxtvalidator platform to verify if ads.txt files are okay.
Here is a procedure on how to check and validate ads.txt
1. Log on to the Adstxtvalidator website
2. Input your website address and click on the validate button
3. Check for errors and make sure the text inside the ads.txt file is correct. if you found errors try to edict them manually by visiting the Public_html / ads.txt.
Please note: Some errors and warnings can be ignored.
What to do if ads txt is not showing up or not appearing the way it should be?
If you noticed your ads.txt is not showing up or not appearing the way it ought to be, it likely that you have a plugin or you have activated a redirect method.
If you’ve used the Ezoic platform before, you would be asked to create a cloud-based ads.txt file using ads txt manager. In doing so, a redirect of the location of ads.txt will be placed on your website in other to ensure that all text inside the Ezoic ads txt manager displays the way it ought to.
Fixing this is not a hard job. Here is a procedure on how to fix issues like this.
1. Log in to the Ezoic website, fill in your login details and proceed
2. Click on monetization on the menu
3. Look for ads.txt manager and click on it.
4. Toggle off the “Enable ads.txt manager”.
5. Also, make sure you’ve disabled any ads txt manager plugins on your website. This is because they can redirect the ads.txt file location.
Do you need a free hosting plan? check out Ezoic free WordPress hosting review
The ads txt file is a text file that contains Authorized Digital Sellers’ texts. It is used by different ads network in other to give you more edge over who is to be allowed to sell ads on your website.
It can also be used to verify ownership of a website, as only the owner or the admin can upload the file to the website root. However, Ads txt file is not a do-or-die affair as big companies like Adsense can work without you uploading the Authorized Digital Sellers texts to your website.
Although some warning is being displayed concerning your revenue, still, it can be neglected if you choose to.